Benefits of Membership
Maintain Your Professional Edge!
Like all serious disciplines today, family law is in a semi-permanent state of change: the Family Law Act has recently undergone signficant change, new case law is made every week, and Court rules and processes are constantly developing.
FLS will keep you in the loop on all these changes! As a member, you will benefit from
- A free subscription to Australian Family Lawyer, a highly respected technical journal on family law matters
- A free subscription to FLS Online News - an electronic new bulletin issued every month with a summary of news, events and changes as well as a digest of all judgments issued by the Family Court of Australia and Federal Circuit Court
- Free access to the Members Only section of this website, which contains the Family Law Library, an online database of technical work on family law in Australia, including articles from the Australian Family Lawyer and biennial national conferences
- Discounted rates on the FLS Biennial National onference and special FLS CLE events on major legal changes.
Stay Networked and Get Wired!
To be an effective and successful family lawyer, you need contacts with colleagues, with the regulators and with the Courts. Active membership of the Family Law Section provides you with important networking opportunities, including -
- participating in the Biennial national conference
- making a contribution to the work done by FLS committees
- attending special FLS educational events during the year
- staying in touch with members through this website.
Make a Difference in Family Law!
Government policy on family law doesn’t just happen. It is formed and shaped by by our profession putting to Government matters arising from the knowledge gained during our daily work.
The Family Law Section is your voice in the policy-making process, and your opportunity to contribute directly to that process. FLS members have the opportunity to have an input into matters being considered by any one of the Section’s active committees dealing with policy matters.
FLS is the national professional body representing the interests of Australian family lawyers. As such, it is frequently consulted by both the federal Government, the Family Court and the Federal Circuit Court on policy issues.
Promote Your Practice!
As a member of the Family Law Section, you are entitled to a free entry in Find a Family Lawyer, the online directory of FLS members available from this site to members of the public.
Your entry can include a free linked e-mail address, as well as normal contact information.
If you have your own website, then a free hyperlink to that website can also be included.
New Zealand Law Society - Family Law Section
Membership forms are available under the Resource Section